Tuesday, March 31, 2015

What I admire about Leslie


Leslie

Leslie is my former young childhood education assistant to my being the lead teacher.  When hiring in my school, we always start by trying to hire from within the school families.  This was true of Leslie as I had three of her children as a part of my 2 Day 2 class.  Her boys being twins and our school is a co-op, we spent a lot of time together!This isn't my classroom, but it does resemble it a lot

We had a lead teacher slot open up that Leslie had applied for but wasn't hired for, even though she has spent the last year getting certified.  She did land a job in another school in town so of course, she accepted and left our nursery school.   I am happy for her and we get together for coffee every few months to catch up and for me to see how her first year teaching is going - I for one took a nap every day after school my first year!  And was sick four different times with a cold or flu before the middle of October!  Leslie's health is just fine, but her twin boys have both been diagnosed with dyslexia.  I know her, she probably took this very hard at first and sure enough, she felt guilty for not catching it herself.  The boys are 7 years old - this is the age when you realize there might be a problem as they are not reading.
So what I admire about Leslie is she admits to feeling guilty, but moves on.  Not by taking a step or two, oh no - by jumping the fastest moving train she can find!  She is going to cut out one of her two classes she was teaching - leaving her two days in nursery school - and going back to school to certify her to tutor, mentor, and assist children learning to read with dyslexia.  When you give this woman a problem, she has her devastation period (wholly admits to) but then she is studying to be the best at deflating the problem!  It's not as scary if you completely understand it.  She going not going to pretend that this someone else's job or that "the boys will be just fine on their own" She is going to become the expert in the field of language disabilities.  Leslie's older daughter has some spacial relation issues - don't just walk up to this girl upon meeting her and get/give a hug, as a two year old it made her freeze and tense.  Leslie had studied what the issue was and what would help her daughter the most.  Specialized gym time. Leslie works so hard on making sure that nothing is going to hold down her kids natural talents.Let them soar, Leslie!

15 minutes of admiration

No comments:

Post a Comment