Saturday, March 14, 2015

Blondies for the Boy - Butterscotch Brownies recipe


When my son was in high school conversations with him consisted with "yes", "no", "maybe", "I don't know" and "Can I go now?".  (he's wearing the number 2) Now that he's away at school - we have hour long conversations!  When I initiate I am ready to hang up - he will start on a new topic!  Shocking.  He's lonely.   Or he's maturing.  I can be hopeful!  I think the best way to brighten someone's day is the mail.  Who doesn't get cheered by a package of treats and a fun card.  I made him Butterscotch Brownies and the secret is to brown the butter
 and let it cool before whisking in the eggs.
OK, 10 tablespoons of butter is a lot - but I did call this a treat, didn't I?!
I didn't add how much water to use - you can judge for yourself.  I forgot to take a picture of the finished product!  Image blondies and you are there!  Yum!

Butterscotch Brownies

2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
water

Preheat oven to 350
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.  Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.  
Place butter in a small skillet over medium heat.  Cook 6 mins, stirring occasionally.  Let cool 10 mins.  
Combine butter and eggs, stirring with a whisk.  Pour butter over flour mixture, stir to combine, add vegetable oil.  Continue to combine, adding a little water until you have a mixed consistency you can press into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.  Smooth with a spatula and bake for 30 mins.
Yields 24 squares.

That's my 5 minutes today 

No comments:

Post a Comment